ARCHIVES: HILCHOS V’SEIN TAL U’MATAR
BELOW ARE THE HALACHOS FROM THE DAILY EMAILS THAT WERE SENT OUT TO THE “HALACHA FOR TODAY” DAILY EMAIL LIST
HALACHOS FOR SUNDAY, DECEMBER 4 2011
1) In the Bracha of “Barech Aleinu” in Shemona Esrei, the Bracha where we request Parnassah from Hashem, in the winter months we insert the words “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha, [Hashem please] Give us dew and rain for blessing [i.e. in its right time and in abundant supply]“, in place of “V’Sein Bracha, [Hashem please] give us [abundant] blessing, that is recited in the summer months.” (See Mishna Berura Siman 114:14)
2) In Eretz Yisroel [and its surrounding cities] “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” is inserted [instead of V'Sein Bracha] beginning on the seventh day of the month of Cheshvan, whereas in Chutz L’Aretz it isn’t said until sixty days after the Tekufah of Tishrei (The halachically calculated autumn equinox), which according to the current way of calculating falls out on December 4 th or 5th. (See Shulchan Aruch Siman 117:1. According to the Abudreham, When February has 28 days we start on December 4 and when February has 29 days we start on December 5)
V’Sein Tal U’Matar is said until Erev Pesach. On Motzaei Yom Tov of the first days of Pesach, we begin saying “V’Sein Bracha”. (ibid.)
HALACHOS FOR MONDAY, DECEMBER 5 2011
1) If one omitted “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” during the winter months, and they remembered while still in middle of the Bracha of “Bareich Aleinu”, before saying the name of Hashem at the end, they go back and say “V’sein tal U’Matar L’Vracha” and continue from there.
2) If the name of Hashem was already recited at the end of the Bracha , do not go back, rather finish the Bracha ad continue Shemona Esrei and add in “V’sein Tal U’matar L’Vracha” during the Bracha of “Shma Koleinu”. (Shulchan Aruch Siman 117:5. See Kitzur Shulchan Aruch Siman 19:6 and Kaf HaChaim Siman 117:37 that just the 4 words “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” are added and no further text. However, Aruch HaShulchan Siman 117:6 seems to say, according to some interpretations, that some additional words are added, i.e. “Al Pnei Ha’adama…”, presumably to say a complete thought.)
HALACHOS FOR TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6 2011
1) If the Bracha of Shma Koleinu was finished and there too “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” was omitted, if the Bracha of “Retzei” was not yet started, “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” can be said right then and there. (Shulchan Aruch Siman 117:5)
2) If one already began “Retzei”, as long as one is still in middle of Shemona Esrei (i.e. did not say the second “YihYu L’Ratzon in Elokai Netzor for those who say it twice. See Mishna Berura Siman 117:18), he/she should go back to the beginning of the Bracha of “Bareich Aleinu” and say from there until the end of Shemona Esrei again, and this time remember to say “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha”. (ibid.)
If one already finished the entire Shemona Esrei, he/she needs to repeat the entire Shemona Esrei from the beginning. (ibid.)
HALACHOS FOR WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7 2011
1) If during the time period that “V’Sein Tal U’Matar” was supposed to be said, one can’t recall if he/she remembered to say it, if it is in within the first thirty days of when it was added to the Tefilah, we assume that one was still used to the old text of “V’Sein Bracha” and thus did not remember to add “V’Sein Tal U’Matar”, and therefore must follow the guidelines outlined in yesterday’s Halachos regarding repeating the Shemona Esrei. (See Shulchan Aruch Siman 114:8 and Mishna Berura S”K 37)
2) The same thirty day rule applies to after Pesach when “V’Sein Bracha” is supposed to be added, and one cannot recall if he/she remembered to say it or inadvertently kept saying “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” as was etched in their brain for the past few months.
We will discuss the “thirty days” more in detail tomorrow B’Ezras Hashem.
HALACHOS FOR THURSDAY, DECEMBER 8 2011
1) After thirty days of saying “V’Sein Tal U’Matar” in the winter, or saying “V’Sein Bracha” in the summer we assume that one’s brain is already used to saying the proper text.
Thus, if after this time period one doesn’t remember if the proper text was said, we assume that indeed it was and we do not require him/her to repeat Shemona Esrei.
2) The magical “thirty days” is not so much due to its being a month, rather it is due to having ninety Tefilos prayed in that period, and once something is said or done ninety times, it becomes “second nature”.(In fact, something that is done, or not done, for ninety days, is scientifically proven to become easier to maintain. This is true for breaking addictions as well as for changing other human habits etc.) (See Mishna Berura Siman 114:37)
HALACHOS FOR EREV SHABBOS KODESH, DECEMBER 9 2011
(Double Portion L’Kavod Shabbos Kodesh)
Halachos for Erev Shabbos Kodesh
1) Based on the “ninety days” logic we discussed yesterday, another halachically acceptable option to “train” the brain to say “V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha” in the winter or to say “V’Sein Bracha” in the summer, is to say 90 times in succession the entire segment of the Bracha, “…V’Es Kol Minei SevuAsah L’Tovah, V’Sein Tal U’Matar L’Vracha (or “V’Sein Bracha” in the summer) Al Pnei Ha’adama”
2) Once this is done, anytime we are in doubt we can assume that it was said with the proper insertion. (See Shulchan Aruch Siman 114:9 and Mishna Berura S”K 39-44)
HALACHOS FOR SHABBOS KODESH
1) This method of reciting the words ninety times, applies to “Mashiv HaRuach U’Morid HaGeshem” as well.
In fact, in many Yeshivos they have a minhag, dating back to pre-war Europe, to sing with a special tune the words “Mechayeh Meisim Atah Rav L’Hoshea, Mashiv HaRuach U’Morid HeGeshem Mechalkel Chaim…” ninety times on the day that Tefilas Geshem is recited, in order to ingrain in their brains to say it properly during Shemona Esrei.
2) All the Halachos regarding the guidelines of when to repeat Shemona Esrei when one omitted “V’Sein Tal U’Matar”, “V’Sein Bracha”, “Mashiv HaRuach”, Ya’aleh V’yavo” etc. apply equally to men and women.